|HOD English / Social Studies|
Mdm Azizah A. Latiff
Mdm Lakshmi Arivananthan
|Level Head (Internal)|
Mdm Mehmutha Beevi Kutus
The English Language instructional programmes in the
classroom are aligned with the principles of language learning and teaching in
the EL Syllabus.
The following principles are embedded in the instructional programmes:
· Speech & Drama programme aims to help students :
- acquire both confidence and effective communication skills,
- develop and discover themselves and present their own ideas,
- express freely and explore their imaginations.
· Reading programme is carried out in all classes to encourage students to read actively. This aims to bring up the literacy level of all students and to inculcate the love of reading among the students.
· The Learning Support Programme is a specialised language and literacy programme. It aims to provide additional support to students to help them cope with mainstream work.
Leveraging on Technology
The school started on a pilot project infusing ICT into the teaching of English Language at the Primary 4 level in 2016. It uses the theory of Knowledge Building (KB) and the Knowledge Forum ICT platform to equip pupils with 21st Century Competencies to contribute and co-create knowledge. Students own the learning, its outcomes and processes. Teachers design and facilitate learning that is guided by KB principles. It is now carried out in selected P4 and P5 classes.
We used KB for the specific skill of enhancing Stimulus-Based Conversation (SBC). The main idea is to create a culture of idea generation and leading on to idea building. Another KB activity was the alignment of the STELLAR units as well as current affairs (newspaper articles) to share on the KF platform.
Students are able to ask questions to build on ideas and generate new ideas as well. Students are engaged in discourse to share with one another, and to improve the knowledge advancement in the classroom. The discourse on the platform also allows teachers the flexibility to provide immediate feedback and also to highlight improvable ideas.
Partnership with Parents
What you can do to help your child ;
· Read to and with your child regularly.
· Watch the daily English news telecast with your child and discuss issues with them.
· Praise your child for every effort made and every improvement shown.
· Help your child learn his / her Spelling / Dictation.
· Ensure your child completes his homework / revises his work.
· Constantly monitor the progress of your child.
Below are some websites that you can log on to enhance learning of English: